Considering that Indian cricket has created a long list of players who elevated the sport to new heights, Virat Kohli is still in many ways a player in the making. But what sets him apart, aside from his skillful hand on the field is also a pretty long list of records and recognitions the young player has amassed in the relatively short period since he landed on the field where the eyes of the nation fall on the days he play. The cricketer, who turned 27 today is a globally recognised star in his own right,and though he appears frequently in the news, there are still facts about him that’ll surprise you. Check them out right here.
1. Kohli played a crucial Ranji match in 2006, despite the fact that his father passed away the same day. He scored 90 runs in the match against Karnataka.
2. He is one among the 8 cricketers who have scored 20 ODI centuries.
3. Kohli is the fastest cricketer to reach 20 ODI centuries-taking 133 innings for it. Contrast with Sachin’s 197 innings for the same.
4. Another feather on Virat’s cap is that he’s only the fourth cricketer to score 1000 runs or more for three consecutive years in ODI cricket.
5. He’s the fastest Indian cricketer to reach 1000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 ODI runs.
6. He shares a record with Sir Vivian Richards for the fastest to reach 5000 ODI runs.
7. Virat sports a dragon tattoo on his arm, apparently to bring him good luck.
8. He’s the first Indian to score a century on World Cup debut.
9. He was one among the 10 best dressed men in the world in 2012.
10. He was the one who scored the most number of ODI and test runs in 2012, earning him ICC’s Cricketer of the Year award. He was just 23 at the time.
11. In 2014, he was ranked as the 2nd most marketable athlete in the world.
12. Kohli had the honour of Sir Vivian Richards making a remark that Kohli reminded him of himself.
The obvious fact is, Kohli has done in a short time what many won’t achieve in an entire career. Another fact that’s equally obvious is that he hasa long way to go still. Out the two factors together and what becomes evident is that we are all in for a long, fun ride.
May many more birthdays come this cricketer’s way.